cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable SSID Broadcast WAP551/561

carrie001
Level 1
Level 1

We installed 2 WAP551/561 in a doctor's office and did not set up a guest account for patients. We want to disable the SSID broadcast. The WAP551/561 User Guide says "Specify whether to allow the WAP device to broadcast the SSID in its beacon frames." I don't want to choose a Beacon Interval of 2 or 2000, I want it off.

Do I need to telnet into each WAP551/561 router and and write at the command line to conceal the SSID by sending out a Beacon frame with the SSID set to NULL? I've already tried setting the Beacon Interval to zero and clicked on Save. The Cisco panel said it was an invalid value.

Why is this feature not available for a Cisco Single Cluster when this option  is a simple drop-down box with "Enable" or "Disable" in Keebox and Harris routers?

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

look at pages 70-71 in the user guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap5x1/administration/guide/WAP551_561_admin_guide.pdf

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Pages 70-71 is where I got the quote:

"Specify whether to allow the WAP device to broadcast the SSID in its beacon frames."

Can you give me How-To, Step-By-Step instructions to disable the SSID broadcast on WAP551/561?

Hi,

I can't because I've never used this model.

Regards

Alain

Do you have experience with another Cisco WAP Model where the user guide said "Specify whether to allow the WAP device to broadcast the SSID in its beacon frames" as the only hint as to how to turn off the SSID broadcast?

Have you turned off/disabled the SSID broadcast in a Cisco WAP before? Perhaps the procedures to turn off the SSID broadcast for a different type of Cisco WAP will work with the WAP551/561 model.

Hi,

I've only configured Cisco APs not SMB WAPs and on the models that I've used the CLI command was no guest-mode.

Regards

Alain

Thanks for responding cadet alain. I'll wait to see if someone with SMB WAP Cisco product experience responds to my inquiry.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: