Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN without IPSec Encryption?

simonstoll
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need point-to-multipoint tunnels for a virtual overlay. Encryption is not necessary as the transport network is a corporate network and no internet. I also don't need the ability of direct spoke to spoke communication. At the moment I'm working with GRE point-to-point links, but the config on the HUB starts to look a bit crowded, so I would prefer a point to multipoint technology.

Any help is welcome, and a will be graded.

Best regards

Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, in fact it's enough to not configure "tunnel protection" under the tunnel interface and voila, crypto-less DMVPN.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Simon,

Here is the great document to configure DMVPN.

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6658/c1161/cdccont_0900aecd80313c97.pdf

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Hi Dharmesh

Thanks, but the question is if that also works without IPSec? I don't want to add this unnecessary processing burden on the HUB router.

Simon

Yes, in fact it's enough to not configure "tunnel protection" under the tunnel interface and voila, crypto-less DMVPN.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I think the DMVPN can be used without encryption. Take a look to this link: http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps6658/c1161/cdccont_0900aecd80313c9d.pdf

Hope it helps,

Krisztian

Hi

Thank you all for your help, I will now go to my lab and try it out. And thank you for this fast replies, I didn't even hade time to walk to the coffee machine!

I will grade you when it works :-)

Best regards

Simon

It will work.

Just don't do like us today spending a lot of time because the router was learning the tunnel destination address via routing inside the tunnel. P-t-p tunnel will warn you about, but a multipoint will not!

thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

It worked!!!

Now I have to change all my tunnels to GRE/mGRE with NHRP. Thank you so much, you saved my day. It was crazy how fast I got an answer on this forum today.

Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: