cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS Servers

Network_kenn
Level 1
Level 1

I recently setup 2 new servers at my organization. Each server is at a separate site on 2 different subnets. At each site there is a Domain controller/DNS. I've pointed each domain controller to its self as the primary DNS address and the secondary DNS would be the next site. I have also sent both addresses to the network administrator to place them in the DHCP scope of the cisco router. Both addresses show up when I run a IP Config. When I turn off the primary domain controller the secondary domain controller does not communicate with the clients.but if the primary domain controller is online and I statically assign the secondary address to a clien it resolves to the domain name. What could possibly be the issue why the secondary domain controller does not take over the domain

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like your DC's are not in sync, I would say check AD replication between them  first then also see if the dns servers are actually authorised in AD, however this is a question for a windows forum not cisco

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

are these Windows clients ?

Yes windows 

Actually I meant the clients, I assume the clients are Windows clients as well ?

So the domain controllers are the DNS servers ? And the clients have both DNS servers (ipconfig /all) ?

What if you issue the 'ipconfig /flushdns' on one of the clients after the primary domain controller goes down ?

Sounds like your DC's are not in sync, I would say check AD replication between them  first then also see if the dns servers are actually authorised in AD, however this is a question for a windows forum not cisco

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card