cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do not want to advertise EIGRP networks into BGP AS

michael brock
Level 1
Level 1

As the title says, I am looking for the best way to not advertise EIGRP networks into the networks BGP AS. What would be the best way to accomplish this? 

Sorry if this is a basic question, but I am getting thrown into the fire here lol.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

michael o'nan
Level 4
Level 4
As long as you don't have any route redistribution going on you should be fine. You will maually set what networks you want tk advertise into BGP on each router.

kamlesh yadav
Level 1
Level 1

in order to advertise EIGRP networks into BGP, you need to redistirbute EIGRP networks under BGP process.

In case you are already advertising there are two ways,

1.use distribute list under EIGRP process in order to permit or block some networks.

2.Use route-map while doinfg reditribution under BGP process.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kamlesh Yadav

So its required to redistribute eigrp into bgp if you want any eigrp routes? I can set the network statement under bgp and as long as that route lives in the internal routing table it will advertise out bgp.

You are absolutely correct.we need to remove network statement corresponding to EIGRP routes from BGP in order to stop advertisement.

In addition of that if we are using redistribution then we can filter what routes needs to redistributed from EIGRP to BGP.

The distribute list and route map will work in your situation, but removing the network command will stop eigrp on interfaces that related to those networks unless static neighbor commands are assigned.

Joshua Gilmet
Level 1
Level 1

BGP is not like OSPF,RIP, or EIGRP, in that, it does not advertise a subnet just because it is enabled on the corresponding interface. In order for BGP to advertise a route it needs to be installed into the BGP process by the Network x.x.x.x mask x.x.x.x command or by redistribution. If you want to selectively redistribute from a routing process to BGP then I would encourage you to create a distribution list to limit the subnets getting redistributed. 

Note: If there is not an exact match (network and prefix length) to your Network x.x.x.x Mask x.x.x.x command it will not go into the BGP table. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card