cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does a 1760 router have a built in circuit breaker?

cjjones
Level 1
Level 1

One of our sites lost power this morning. When the power came back on, the router did not. The tech on site looked at the router and saw that the power switch was in the off position. He turned it on and it came up just fine. Does anyone know if Cisco builds some sort of a breaker into the power supply that will flip the power switch? I have never run into this before.

3 Replies 3

thomuff
Level 3
Level 3

It doesn't mention anything about it in the Data sheet.

Thanks for the reply. I found something in the user guide that leads me to believe that we were given some misinformation by our tech:

Warning This product relies on the building's installation for short-circuit (overcurrent) protection. Ensure that a fuse or circuit breaker no larger than 120VAC, 15AU.S. (240VAC, 16A international) is used on the phase conductors (all current-carrying conductors).

I am sure that none of the low end routers (<3800) series routers have an integrated circuit breaker. I am not sure about the high end stuff, but my guess is they don't either. Circuit/Surge protection is usually considered the duty of the end user.

--Brent

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card