cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Double redistribution on a single router

l.kellett
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router with 3 ospf processes, can I redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 2, then ospf 2 into ospf 3 and expect to see routes from ospf 1 redistributed into 3?

Or will I have to directly redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 3 aswell to see ospf 1 routes in ospf 3?

3 Replies 3

When redistributed from one process to another they would appear as normal E2 routes (unless configured to be E1) so you are correct that you can redistribute from process 1 to process 2 and then process 2 to process 3.

I would definitely like to see the network topology that needs 3 ospf processes though.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

dslice
Level 1
Level 1

"I have a router with 3 ospf processes, can I redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 2, then ospf 2 into ospf 3 and expect to see routes from ospf 1 redistributed into 3?"

The answer is no. All redistribution between protocols happens via the routing table. In your example, if a route is learned via OSPF 1 and installed in the RIB, it can then be redistributed into OSPF 2. For the second part redistributing OSPF 2 into OSPF 3, the route will not be found in the RIB as an OSPF 2 route and would thus not be redistributed into OSPF 3.

"Or will I have to directly redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 3 aswell to see ospf 1 routes in ospf 3?"

Yep

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

My apologies, I just confirmed what Donald stated in my lab by checking the ospf databases, I mistakingly thought that the redistribution would occur on the ospf databases. Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card