cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Double redistribution on a single router

l.kellett
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router with 3 ospf processes, can I redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 2, then ospf 2 into ospf 3 and expect to see routes from ospf 1 redistributed into 3?

Or will I have to directly redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 3 aswell to see ospf 1 routes in ospf 3?

3 Replies 3

When redistributed from one process to another they would appear as normal E2 routes (unless configured to be E1) so you are correct that you can redistribute from process 1 to process 2 and then process 2 to process 3.

I would definitely like to see the network topology that needs 3 ospf processes though.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

dslice
Level 1
Level 1

"I have a router with 3 ospf processes, can I redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 2, then ospf 2 into ospf 3 and expect to see routes from ospf 1 redistributed into 3?"

The answer is no. All redistribution between protocols happens via the routing table. In your example, if a route is learned via OSPF 1 and installed in the RIB, it can then be redistributed into OSPF 2. For the second part redistributing OSPF 2 into OSPF 3, the route will not be found in the RIB as an OSPF 2 route and would thus not be redistributed into OSPF 3.

"Or will I have to directly redistribute ospf 1 into ospf 3 aswell to see ospf 1 routes in ospf 3?"

Yep

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

My apologies, I just confirmed what Donald stated in my lab by checking the ospf databases, I mistakingly thought that the redistribution would occur on the ospf databases. Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card