Announcements

Community Helping Community

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Enthusiast

DS3 Fiber Optic Modem/Media converter

I tried this in the Optical Networking forum but no one was home.

I need to extend a demarc for a T3  for ~= 1 km and would like to use a FOM solution.  I have both SM and  MM fiber available and I think I would like to utilize the MM given that  this is a relatively short distance.  SNMP fault polling and trap  generation would be a plus but this isn't a necessity.  Does anyone have  any experience with this?  What should I look for - any gotcha's here?   Are there solutions available that provide hardware redundancy? 

Has anyone used any of these that they would recommend? 

As you can probably tell from all the questions I don't have any experience with a T3, so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jeff

6 REPLIES 6
Rising star

Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.  I looked at that.  I am leaning towards an Omnitron iConverter:

http://www.omnitron-systems.com/iconverter-t3-media-converter.php

I want to get a 5 slot chassis and put the converter card and a management card into it.  A 2 slot chassis would do it, but I can't put dual power supplies on it.  Actually I think I will just configure one end this way and just use a 1 slot chassis with dual PS on the other end.  I just want the management mod to send fault traps to my NMS, and the managed unit will detect a fault with the other unmanaged unit.

Rising star

You are on the right track. Good luck and have fun.

Hall of Fame Master

As already replied another thread.

Wouldn't be esier and cheaper to place a routelik like a 7301 in there, the do the fiber with Ethernet / IP ?

Enthusiast

You're kidding right?  I can buy the managed version of the FOM for less than what a 256 MB flash card for the 7301 lists for.

Besides the fact that a 7301 would cost about 20-30 times more there are several other reasons I don't want to do that.  This goes on the SP side of a managed WAN service, on the WAN side of the SP router.  I don't want to be between them and their router.  And I don't want a router in the same location the demarc is in.  It is not a good environment and it is not a good place to attach the campus LAN to the WAN.

Hall of Fame Master

Re: DS3 Fiber Optic Modem/Media converter

I understand you concerns about where you place your router.

However, you will need a DS3 router anyway, so it's not like placing it co-located to demarc adds any cost.

Instead, purchasing two fiber converters units, will have some additional cost for sure.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
FusionCharts will render here