cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual-homed Internet, with 2 MPLS Providers and asymmetric routing issue

pheran20071
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue where remote sites connect to Internet though MPLS but the return path of the packet is not the same MPLS WAN as outgoing.

Any suggestions to mitigate this issue so incoming traffic can be forced through a particular MPLS WAN provider in steady state but if the Internet fails from one provider, we have access through other Provider.

5 Replies 5

Hi

I would like to ask you what routing protocol is configured on the CE routers?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

EIGRP

Hi

Thank you, based on your diagram how is the packet flow from the remote site to Internet? I see it is connected to mpls 2.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Internet traffic goes over MPLS1, We want the return traffic to follow the same path but IGP sends the traffic over to MPLS 2 on return as that has better metric.

Default route has better metric and the traffic is sent from branch to the MPLS 1 router but problem is the return traffic. 

Hi

Have you tried to configure a high delay on the interfaces between CE2 and PE2  to manipulate the traffic?

It should keep a symmetric traffic through the primary MPLS.

example:

CE2
int g0/0
description TO-PE2
delay 50000

PE2
Int g0/0
description TO-CE2
ip vrf forward <vrf name>
delay 50000

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card