Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual MPLS on same head end question

Jim Cook
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We currently are in the process of replacing one of our MPLS networks along with the associated routers. Currently we have our main MPLS network which has two redundant head ends with redundant connections at our main site along with a head end at our DR site. our client MPLS network, which we will be replacing, has one head end at our main location and one head end at our DR site. My question is this, is it possible to use the already in place head ends for our main MPLS also as head ends for the new client MPLS putting two different MPLS networks on the routers? Also, if this is possible can our secondary MPLS router at our main location be leveraged to be the primary head end for the new client MPLS network?

I have attached two diagrams detailing what the environment looks like now and what my goal is.

Any information would be very much appreciated, thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can have the current router(s) servicing multiple MPLS connections at the same time. However, you need to review your bandwidth utilization as the 3845 has its own throughput limitations. The following document may give you an idea:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

As your network growths, you should look into the ASR line for Head End Router.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can have the current router(s) servicing multiple MPLS connections at the same time. However, you need to review your bandwidth utilization as the 3845 has its own throughput limitations. The following document may give you an idea:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

As your network growths, you should look into the ASR line for Head End Router.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card