Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual VTP server

rajeshk200_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

if we have two switches configured as vtp server which one will be active vtp server.

is it possible to configure like primary and secondary vtp server with priority as is case for STP?

Thanx&Regards,

Rajesh

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rajesh,

There is nothing like primary and secondary VTP server and neither you can cofnigure the same as you do for STP.

Ofcourse you can have more than 2 VTP servers in your network and all should have the same config revision number, incase one VTP server goes down the other VTP server will be there to take care of your VTP clients.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Hello,

in addition to Ankur´s post, I think the general guideline is to configure the VTP server as the root for your VLANs as well. So if you have two VTP servers, you could configure one as the root for one half of your VLANs, and as the secondary root for the other half, and do the same on the other VTP server switch. That way, you would use your server switches in a sort of redundant fashion...

Regards,

GP

williamwbishop
Level 1
Level 1

Also, I think for safety sake, you should follow the following guidelines..

Put all switches but one in client mode

Configure your vtp on the server

Allow all switches to update

Change any additional switches you want to be servers to server mode.

I know it's a newbie thing, but you'd be suprised how often this mistake is made.

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

My preference these days is for VTP transparent mode in all switches. Not only is it safer but allows the use of higher number VLANs (above 1005) up to 4096. In mode cases all VLANs do not need to be known by all switches. The ease of use for Server/Client modes does not out weigh the security and flexiblity of Tranparent mode.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card