Views
Helpful
Replies

DVB Routing, VSAT

Rabih.farah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have bought the following: a Datum PSM523-L modem with an IDC DVB receiver SFX3102 DVBS/S2 16APSK no VCM and a CISCO 2811 + WIC-2T on it,

I want to know more about the routing that will be done on the CISCO Rtr cs this is the first time I work with DVB and I know that the modem will be linked to the CISCO Rtr with a CAB SS449MT and the DVB to the router with the an Ethernet RJ45 straight cable.

Please rectify any wrong information and tell me if I need any other cables and help me understand the routing that will be done on the CISCO Rtr.

Thank you in advance.

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You begin contacting the SP and asking for "installation data", that you will then configure in the router.

Hi,

first thank you for replying, second I do not mind the SP data use any theoretical IP addressing schema, where I am lost is as follows:

Knowing that the Modem will be the equipment that will transmit data and it is linked to the serial port of the CISCO Rtr, on the other hand the receiving of the data will be through the DVB receiver that will be linked to the router via an ethernet cable; the question is simply is How should I routing be on the CIsco? if I'm receinving via the ethernet and transmitting via the serial what is my gate way? how does this wrok?

Again, the SP has all the configuration details.

They may use the following

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/np1/configuration/guide/1cip.html#wp4741

Rabih.farah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not able to check the link can you please post its content, thank you

Check again.

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Hi,

I was looking at the some Docs in CISCO.com, please advice if what I am looking for can be treated by the following:

I have 2 IP addresses assigned to me by the Provider set one the Fast-Ethernet interface of the CISCO Rtr (ex: Fe 0/1) linked to the DVB receiver and a second IP on the receiver.

and I have an IP address set on the Serial interface (ex: Se 0/0) linked to the Vsat Modem.

I receive (receive only) via the Fast-Ethernet and I transmit via the Serial interface (transmit only), is the below what I am looking for :

interface Fast Ethernet 0/1
 ip address 66.36.196.105
 transmit-interface Serial 0/0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0/0

Thank you for the replies.

You may not even need the "transmit-interface" command. Your SP should be able to tell you.

Hi,

You need to configure serial interface ip address and its encapsulation type. You need an IP address in same subnet with your satellite teleport router. Then route whole the traffic to serial interface. There is no need to do anything with for receive side. You may need to connect your DVB receiver to a switch to have Internet on a PC connected to that switch and with a IP address in that DVB's subnet.

As mentioned above, you may not even need the transmit-interface command, it is required only for dynamic routing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card