cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP across a PIX

G Money
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to create an EIGRP neighbor relationship between my inside router and my Internet router. There's a PIX firewall in between the two routers.

Any idea if this is possible?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Possible? Yes. I have seen it done in the past. It is kind of a hack though and I would not recommend it to my worst ennemy.

The best approach would be to use BGP to propagate dynamic routing updates through the PIX.

Please refer to the following URL for more information on using BGP in this context:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/BGP-PIX.htm

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for the reply.

My goal with this is to be able to redistribute my internal routing domain (EIGRP) into OSPF on the Internet router. I have this set up curently without the firewall.

If I was to redistribute EIGRP into BGP on the inside router, run BGP across the firewall, and then redistribute BGP into OSPF on the Internet router, do you think it would work?

George

Another way to do it, is to use GRE tunnel between end point routers, and then run EIGRP over the tunnel, and allow GRE packets to pass through the PIX from the router;s ip address.

BGP is the preferred way to communicate routing info, across a firewall though.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Running GRE through the PIX is not recommended since all your PIX stateful is completely unaware of what's going through it, which defeats the purpose of using a FW in the first place.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México