cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp delay to influence route

jmccartney1
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue where 2 WAN routers have 1Gig links to the Internet by default and are participating in Eigrp. One interface is set to auto (1G) and the other is set for 1MB BW. The previous group supporting this did the config this way, and I'm thinking instead of changing the bandwidth statement to influence routes I would add the delay statement of say 10 which would equal 100 usecs instead of 10 usecs that the default of 1 would calculate.

Am I on the right path thinking to modify the delay parameter and then removing the bandwidth 1000 statement  so it uses speed of 1G and let the delay dictate which path to use to the Internet as the first choice? This should not cause a change or affect the link in an adverse way would it?

My customer is very sensitive to any changes so I don't want to give them reason to give me the boot.

Thanks for the help.

John

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dslice
Level 1
Level 1

You're absolutely right that Delay is the right parameter to modify if you want to influence path selection. Bandwidth isn't always effective for this purpose since it has to be the minimum bandwidth in the path to the destination to have an effect.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I believe that you are on the right path. In many situations it is more effective to manipulate the EIGRP metric with delay than with metric.

You might also think about using an offset list in EIGRP to manipulate the metric.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dslice
Level 1
Level 1

You're absolutely right that Delay is the right parameter to modify if you want to influence path selection. Bandwidth isn't always effective for this purpose since it has to be the minimum bandwidth in the path to the destination to have an effect.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the help.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I believe that you are on the right path. In many situations it is more effective to manipulate the EIGRP metric with delay than with metric.

You might also think about using an offset list in EIGRP to manipulate the metric.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH

Rick

Thank you for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card