Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp hello timers

hi,

eigrp hello timer is 5s on lan int and 60 s on wan int (by default)

These values could not be verified with a show command (?)

I did a test in PT:  2 routers with cards HWIC-2T are directly linked with a serial link, one is dce, the other is dte

i do debug eigrp packets hello and i saw the debug on the console with sending and received hello packets

in this case i noticed the timer was 5s like lans and not 60s as i expected

Could someone explain to me why the timer is not 60 in this case ?

Are hwic-2t not wan cards ?

i will appreciate your help

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

This command should display hello timer "sh ip eigrp interfaces detail s1/1" replace s1/1 with the actual eigrp interface you are using. If you are running IOS version 12 then I believe it only displays the hello timer and not hold timer, but as we know by default hold timer is 3 times of hello timer. Code 15.x should display hello and hold timer with the command mentioned above.

Hello timer is 5 seconds by default on high speed links ( above 1536 kb) and 60 seconds on slow links. Did you verify if WAN interface you are using is below that value? I think changing bandwidth in software to a value lower than 1536kb won't force eigrp to use a hello timer of 60 seconds and I believe speed has to be lower at the wire level than the specified value. I don't think you will be able to test it in PT.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

This command should display hello timer "sh ip eigrp interfaces detail s1/1" replace s1/1 with the actual eigrp interface you are using. If you are running IOS version 12 then I believe it only displays the hello timer and not hold timer, but as we know by default hold timer is 3 times of hello timer. Code 15.x should display hello and hold timer with the command mentioned above.

Hello timer is 5 seconds by default on high speed links ( above 1536 kb) and 60 seconds on slow links. Did you verify if WAN interface you are using is below that value? I think changing bandwidth in software to a value lower than 1536kb won't force eigrp to use a hello timer of 60 seconds and I believe speed has to be lower at the wire level than the specified value. I don't think you will be able to test it in PT.

thanks
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card