Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Metric-bandwidth

Joe Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Here is my network topology.

1. Router 1 is connected to the Router 2 through the MPLS network by Using BGP. Router 1 has 100 MB.

2. Router 1 is connected to the Switch 1 within the same location by Using EIGRP. They both have gigabit ethernet connected to each other.

I want to run redistribute BGP on the EIGRP on the Router1. Please see below.

router eigrp 10
 redistribute static
 redistribute bgp 65001 metric 1000000 1 255 1 1500

Not sure if I should use " redistribute bgp 65001 metric 1544 200 255 1 1500"

How can I identify the bandwidth for this redistribute? Please advise.

Regards,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Joe,

If you have just a single router where you perform this BGP-to-EIGRP redistribution then it is largely irrelevant what EIGRP metrics you specify for the redistribution. Your current metrics correspond to the BW=1Gbps and Delay=10 usec. These metric have absolutely no impact on the qualitative properties of the route towards the redistributed networks (i.e. they do not influence the usable bandwidth or delay in any way), there are just numbers for EIGRP to compute the composite metric and that's it. I would personally suggest sticking with the first option.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Joe,

If you have just a single router where you perform this BGP-to-EIGRP redistribution then it is largely irrelevant what EIGRP metrics you specify for the redistribution. Your current metrics correspond to the BW=1Gbps and Delay=10 usec. These metric have absolutely no impact on the qualitative properties of the route towards the redistributed networks (i.e. they do not influence the usable bandwidth or delay in any way), there are just numbers for EIGRP to compute the composite metric and that's it. I would personally suggest sticking with the first option.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card