Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp on Lan network

feroz syed
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

Eigrp running on all three routers, i try to ping from r3 to r1 loop address after the ping starts and  i did manually  shut down the r1 ehternet connection the pings start losing packets and it take more then 10 seconds to reach ping from r2 to r1 loop. is there anyway to avoid this problem. 

1.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you detect the neighbour failing quicker and if your secondary path is a feasible successor then it can be  quicker.

For this you can use lower hello/holdtime timers or use BFD.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you detect the neighbour failing quicker and if your secondary path is a feasible successor then it can be  quicker.

For this you can use lower hello/holdtime timers or use BFD.

Regards

Alain

hi,

some of my friends said that the switch  running STP on each port and requiring 30 seconds to proceed through Listening and Learning states until a port transitions to the Forwarding state. if i confiure the switch to rstp and make the three ethernet port to spanning-three port fast and acces port can avoid this problem ?

If you enabled the EIGRP process, and the router from which you enabled the EIGRP process, connects to it's neighbors via a switch, it's completely possible that, if you're using 802.1D it will take 30 seconds by default, for the port to come up, if portfast is not configured. Since by default, the EIGRP default hello timer is 5 seconds and hold time is 15 seconds for this type of network. So it's completely possible that STP could cause this issue.

Hi feroz ,

If you feel that spanning-tree timers causing problem you can use spanning-tree portfast command on all port connected to routers and i dont thing there would be any loop problem occur as you have only one switch in network as well all routers port are L3.

Regards,

Ashish Shirkar

Already i configure portfast on all three switch ports, but didn't see any effect after shutdown the r1 ethernet port.Am going to try as Alain said to lower the hello interval and hold-down interval.

Thanks working perfecctly now

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card