Views
Helpful
Replies

Embedded AP Autonomous Mode

andrewburridge
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

I'm having trouble booting my embedded AP in a 890w router into autonomous mode.  When I configure it with an IP and connect to it via the session manager, the config is default but the AP appears to be in lightweight mode.  I only have a limited command set (e.g. no Configure terminal) and the console shows messages about it trying to discover a WLC.

I've set the following command on the CLI of the router:

service-module wlan-ap 0 bootimage autonomous

and reset the AP but still the same.

My boot image is ap802-k9w8-mx.152-4.JB4.  AS I understand it this should be an autonomous image but is this maybe part of the issue?

Any ideas on how I can get the embedded AP to boot into autonomous mode?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bart Slinger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew,

Actually the W8 is the lightweight firmware not the autonomous image.
You need to change the firmware. This can be done by acquiring the correct firmware from the cisco website if your entitled to it or from your Cisco supplier. Then install it via an TFTP server.

Then you need to do the following:

First get the Light weight accesspoint (LWAP) an ip address

Example:

#capwap ap ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
#capwap ap ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

Next you do the following:

# debug capwap console cli
# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://<IPaddressofserver>/<filename>

Let me know if this helped you.

With regards,
Bart

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bart Slinger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew,

Actually the W8 is the lightweight firmware not the autonomous image.
You need to change the firmware. This can be done by acquiring the correct firmware from the cisco website if your entitled to it or from your Cisco supplier. Then install it via an TFTP server.

Then you need to do the following:

First get the Light weight accesspoint (LWAP) an ip address

Example:

#capwap ap ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
#capwap ap ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1

Next you do the following:

# debug capwap console cli
# archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://<IPaddressofserver>/<filename>

Let me know if this helped you.

With regards,
Bart

Ah, my mistake, thanks for the correction.  I'll download the image and let you know how I got on.

Thanks.

Hey Bart,

Unfortunately I don't have that archive command available in the CLI, I'm guessing this is down to the list of available commands in the lightweight image.

I've tried to copy down the image from ROMMON by setting a manual IP and copying the image from a tftp server on the same subnet but the traffic isn't getting to the tftp server i.e.

ap: set
DEFAULT_ROUTER=10.0.3.254
IP_ADDR=10.0.3.253
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

Then configured a PC with TFTP server on the same subnet and placed in the same subnet as the AP:

interface FastEthernet0
switchport access vlan 300

interface wlan-ap0
description Service module interface to manage the embedded AP
ip unnumbered Vlan300

interface Wlan-GigabitEthernet0
description Internal switch interface connecting to the embedded AP
switchport access vlan 300
!
interface Vlan300
ip address 10.0.3.254 255.255.255.0

Say I configure the PC with TFTP as 10.0.3.1/24 I cannot get connectivity between the AP in ROMMON and the PC.  Should this work okay?

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

It could be that the 890w AP is different, I have tested it with 1140, 1600 and 2600 series and that command is definitly available in those AP's. You made sure that you first did the following ?

enable
debug capwap console cli

before executing that archive command ?

Why do you assign the default router with the same ip address as you use on vlan 300 ? Shouldnt that be 10.0.3.253 then ?

I have done TFTP process once before as well and worked fine for me , I just followed this document

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01101110.html#ID1151

Hi Bart,

I've finally got this working.  The final piece I was missing was to do with the fact that the AP was embedded and needed the bridged interface to be carrying the relevant VLAN to get to the PC, i.e.

bridge irb

bridge 1 protocol ieee

bridge 1 route ip

interface GigabitEthernet0.300

encapsulation dot1Q 300 native

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 1

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

I had to wait for the capwap discovery process to fail and the AP to fail back to autonomous mode.  Then I could enter configuration mode and put in the above commands.  Once that was complete I could contact the TFTP server and download the autonomous image.

Thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: