Views
Helpful
Replies

Equipment Help

rhltechie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am having some difficulty deciding on where to use the equipment i have in house. I currently have a 3745 servicing as my WAN router. I am switching to Metro E at the end of the month which is only a ethernet int. I have a spare 2811 series router also in house. I will be using this link later for VoIP and I am curious if I should switch out the 3745 with the 2811. Pros? Cons? Just a bad idea or not?

TIA,

R

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are planning to implement VoIP, the 2811 fits best.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5881/index.html

This is what I was thinking as well. The 2811 I have already has a DSP capable of 16 calls I believe.

Also, if I move the 2811 to be my wan router I will need to replace it with something for my internet metro E connection. I have an older 2600 series. Do you think this one or the 3745 would fit best for routing internet traffic and doing a very small amount of BGP?

Deciding between a 2600 and a 3745 ? I take the 3745 since it has more available WIC slots. You never know when you are going to need them. They are both reaching EOL so they are equal in terms of Cisco support.

Thanks. I was not sure if the 3745 and 2600 series were vastly different in amount of data they would pass. I am only on a 10MB metro E connection right now, but this could go up with time. What do these systems max out at?

They both have a max transfer rate of 100Mbps.

Thanks for your help. Can I expect to see a major performance hit if I changed out a 2811 that is now servicing my internet metro e 10MB connection with a 2621?

I don't think so

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card