cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending L2 between data centers Cat6880

jdworak14
Level 1
Level 1

I have three data centers, not connected via WAN/MPLS. These data centers are located in the same city and have dark fiber between them.

In DC1 i have a pair of 6880s (VSS) configured as a L3 router for /24 subnets/VLANs in a 172.16 range

In DC2 i have a pair of 6880s (VSS) configured as a L3 router for /24 subnets/VLANs in a 172.17 range.

In DC3 i have a pair of 6880s (VSS) configured as a L3 router for /24 subnets/VLANs in a 172.18 range.

We are moving everything from DC3 to DC2. But the server team does not want to re-IP systems.  

With a Nexus i have used OTV to extend L2, and with old routers i've used GRE.  But what is the L2 extention service/feature for Cat6880?  is it VPLS? DMVPN? 

I have to have the same subnet/VLAN in both data centers for a while.  Once we migrate all the systems i can shut off the DC3 and let the DC2 core natively handle the supernet. 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have deployed Many, if the Darkfibre unprotected, youi can directly configured as Layer 2 VLAN Extention with Trunk.

if you like security on this links you can use MAC Sec, not sure what Sups you have, if you have latest Sups on Cat 68XX you can use it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes the dark fiber is 'mine' and unprotected.  I was thinking of extending the current Vlan in DC3 over to DC2 as an option.  But looking for the "OTV" or "GRE" option on a L3 Cat6880 to tunnel L2 to the other DC. 

IN both DCs i have a pair of Nexus9Ks connected to the Core as L2.  I could very easily run some Dark Fiber between these and extend the VLAN, but then have to tear all that apart. 

I was hoping to use some sort of tunnel magic to extend the VLAN then once i tear apart the DC3 i can simply recreate the SVI on the DC2 core. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card