Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover between ASA5506 and 867 router for network Default Gateway

davidfield
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance or options to deal with a change I need to implement.  I currently have 2 x cisco 867vae routers each with a VDSL connected to a network with 2 VRRP instances running so that various vlans can have their internet traffic directed out each of the VDSL services but if one fails they failover.  All works ok however on the "corporate" vlan the client wants an ASA5506 to replace one of the 867VAE routers as the circuit is to be upgraded to a Fiber To The Premises .  So I have a failover issue to solve as well as traffic balancing.

Connecting to the ASA and 867VAE is an SG300 Switch.  I was thinking to switch on EIGRP on switch, ASA and 867VAE to deal with my VRRP no longer being an option. I could potentially use multiple EIGRP instances to direct traffic for specific vlans to specific routers.

I know I could do all the failover on the ASA and direct traffic to the 867VAE router on loss of the Fiber, but this doesn't provide any protection if the ASA falls over.

Has anyone got any other ideas on how to approach? 

Thanks in advance

Dave

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What happends when the SG300 Switch fails ? do you have HA or resiliance in the LAN Switching side ?

IP SLA is the option for you to simply the setup. But why one side ASA one side router  ?  ( i know you have mentioned fibre move)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: