cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to create a VPN on my home lab so I can access my Cisco devices from the internet?

sschumaher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figured out how can I create a VPN on my home Lab so I can connect to my Cisco devices remotely using the internet.

I have a Virgin Media ISP super hub which connects to my Cisco router via ethernet. I know I can  enable port forwarding on my Virgin Media router, and I was researching a bit but hit few roadblocks to create a VPN tunnel.

Does anyone have any recommendation on what I should try as an easy setup? I basically just need to be able to get into my Cisco devices command line from outside of my LAN using the internet.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Seb

SebSchumaher
4 Replies 4

Hello, 

I guess the easiest way would be to put the Super Hub in bridge mode, which would make your Cisco router the actual edge device that gets the public (DHCP assigned) IP address...

If that is not possible, you need to do double NAT and create the same port forwarding on the Cisco. So on the Cisco, you would configure:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.2 443 10.10.10.2 443 extendable

where the 192.168.1.2 address would be the local IP address of your Cisco router, and the 10.10.10.2 address would be the address the Super Hub dishes out to your Cisco. Obviously you also need to define the ip nat inside and ip nat outside interfaces on your Cisco.

ok thanks for your reply - I will play around with what you said - I prefer second option as I don't want to use bridge mode even though I have as my Virgin HUB is used for other services (wireless and wired apple TV) so if I turn it into Bridge mode I will lose that.

I will try to work around with the other info you provided.

If I hit any roadblock I will post here.

Thank YOU

SebSchumaher

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Really I am not familiar with your super hub. It is giving this facility or not but make port forwarding 500 and 4500 (VPN Pass through) toward to cisco router and configure VPN on the Cisco router. It will work.

If your ISP is offering dynamic IP at your home then you can setup dydns.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

thanks for your reply - I am not really sure how to configure this on the Cisco router so any help is appreciated - does it help if I post here my current config?

I am playing around with it but so far I have not been able to get it working.

Thanks
Seb

SebSchumaher
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card