Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flapping WAN links - 100% CPU usage routers effect

Goodmorning,

The network architecture in objet has been described here below:

The system is composed by 1 main site and more than 20 remote sites connected geographically by a VPLS Network provided by the National ISP. In each location a couple of Cisco Routers (3900 on Main site and 1900/2900 in other sites) have been installed. The routers of the Main site communicate with the routers of other locations via GRE tunnel that create a star topology (On the router of the Main site there are more than 20 GRE Tunnels for the connection to other remote sites). The GRE tunnel is configured as below:

interface Tunnel5

ip address 173.1.5.1 255.255.255.252

ip pim query-interval 300 msec

ip pim dense-mode

ip ospf cost 1000

ip ospf dead-interval minimal hello-multiplier 3

ip ospf retransmit-interval 1

tunnel source 172.16.0.1

tunnel destination 172.16.0.5

OSPF parameters:

router ospf 1

timers throttle spf 10 100 5000

timers throttle lsa 10 100 5000

timers lsa arrival 80

Inside VPLS Network could happen a flapping issue (E.g. a fault of 2/3 seconds each 5/6 seconds) of the geographic circuits that causes a continuous recalculation of PIM/OSPF adjacency, routes calculation, ecc... with the effect of really high CPU usage (around 100%) that block the router operativity.

My question is: in which way I could protect my network from ISP fault flappings without changing the convergence time of my network (without modifying  hello packets,...)?

Awaiting your kindly reply and support

Best Regards

Claudio

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

IP Dampening.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card