cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay lab Configuration

CBESTBONE_2
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if someone can look at my configuration and tell me what I might be doing wrong in this frame relay configuration? Router 1 is the only one that works. Routers 2&3 line comes up, but the protocol is down. I have been messing with this for a couple of days and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I know it has to be a layer 2 issue (frame realy connection issue) Below are my lab configs. Does anything stand out?

frame-relay switching

interface Serial1/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

clock rate 64000

frame-relay intf-type dce

no frame-relay inverse-arp

frame-relay route 122 interface Serial1/1 221

frame-relay route 123 interface Serial1/2 321

no shut

interface Serial1/1

no ip address

frame-relay route 221 interface Serial1/0 122

no shut

interface Serial1/2

no ip address

clock rate 64000

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 321 interface Serial1/0 123

no shut

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

R1

int lo1

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

exit

int fa0/0

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

int s0/0

ip address 172.12.123.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay map ip 172.12.123.2 122 broadcast

frame-relay map ip 172.12.123.3 123 broadcast

no shut

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

R2

int lo2

ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255

exit

int fa0/0

ip address 172.12.234.2 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

int s0/0

ip address 172.12.123.2 255.255.255.0

clock rate 64000

frame-relay map ip 172.12.123.1 221 broadcast

no shut

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

R3

int lo3

ip address 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.255

exit

int fa0/0

ip address 172.12.234.3 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

int s0/0

ip address 172.12.123.3 255.255.255.0

frame-relay map ip 172.12.123.1 321 broadcast

no shut

int s1/0

ip address 172.12.34.3 255.255.255.0

no shut

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Your FRS config looks okay apart from the intf-type on Ser1/1 ( which has already been highlighted) and I dont see the lmi type stated anywhere on the routers I assume its cisco?- sh frame-relay lmi interface serial x/x | in LMI

Your hardware is ok? -( cabling/ports etc..)

Have you tried erasing the FRS and the routers  and re-adding the config?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Your Serial1/1 interface on the Frame Relay switching router is missing the frame-relay intf-type dce command. Please note that the FR DCE/DTE definition is absolutely independent of what kind of cable (physical DCE/DTE) is connected to the interface. In FR, the DCE end is responsible for responding to LMI queries (i.e the FR switch) while the DTE is the end device that sends LMI queries (i.e. the R1, R2, R3 routers).

Try adding the frame-relay intf-type dce to your S1/1 interface and see if this helps.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks, Peter, but I originally had that in. As I stated, I have been working on this for over two days. I’ve been changing DTE and DCEs so much, I had to replace one of the cables as a pin got bent. The configuration I cut and pasted did not have it in. That is not the issue, but what else do you have? I truly appreciate the response

Hello,

Just to make sure we understand each other, it is mandatory to have the frame-relay intf-type dce command on all serial interfaces of the router that acts as the frame relay switch, and it must not be used on any of the R1, R2 or R3 interfaces.

Regarding the R2 and R3 not reporting line protocol up, this is a set of suggestions:

• Check whether the show controllers s0/0 reports that a correct cable type is detected and that the clocks are either set or detected. Messages similar to "clocks stopped", "clock not detected", "clock not set" indicate a problem with clock rate setting.
  • Check the output of the show frame-relay pvc whether there are any DLCIs detected and reported.
  • Check the output of show interface s0/0 on both R2, R3 and the FR switch whether there are any input errors recorded. They would suggest that a physical problem exists.
  • If nothing helps, try simply configuring the links between R2/R3 and FR using HDLC encapsulation and unique IP adresses and try pinging the devices. We need to be sure that this ping works. If it does not work then there is a different underlying problem and we should be focusing on that.

Best regards,

Peter

I did all of that in which you asked before, but I am willing to do each step again, except for the last bullet. I know the HDLC links say up, and did the pinging already. I will let you know how I made out. Thanks again for your assistance.

The frame-relay intf-type dce is back in. -- no go

The show controllers on all 4 routers display the clock rate on the dce and tye type (dce/dte) of connections correctly.

In the show frame-relay pvc 1 deleted in router 3, 2 inactive in router 1 and 1 deleted in router 2. (none are active)

In the show interface command, no input errors.

I ran the last one just to be thorough. I configured them for hdlc, and I am able to ping from both routers to the one I have configured as the frame relay. 100% replies.

Hi,

you should verify that your routers are plugged on the correct interfaces on the frame-relay switch.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Check, and still does not work.

Hello,

Your FRS config looks okay apart from the intf-type on Ser1/1 ( which has already been highlighted) and I dont see the lmi type stated anywhere on the routers I assume its cisco?- sh frame-relay lmi interface serial x/x | in LMI

Your hardware is ok? -( cabling/ports etc..)

Have you tried erasing the FRS and the routers  and re-adding the config?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card