Views
Helpful
Replies

GE 0/0/0 has 2 ports but shows only one on screen

WonderfulIT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Possibly something simple that i'm missing but we've got an ISR4331 and it has 4 ethernet ports on it, there are 2 on the top of the 4 ports that are labelled ge0/0/0 across BOTH of them and then ge0/0/1 and ge0/0/2 underneath. I have 3 ports in use but we have another company joining us on another LAN subnet so i'd like to keep it simple by using one of the GE0/0/0 ports for their LAN. I have a GBIC adaptor which i've popped into the port (the same as i have in the GE0/0/2 port but it doesn't show up as a seperate interface ? I was expecting it to show as something like GE0/0/4 or GE0/0/0/1 or something ?

Anyone know if i CAN actually use this port or what i'm doing wrong ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Ge0/0/0 is a combo port. When you have both media types connected, the SFP will take priority over the RJ45.

You need to buy another NIM to gain more interfaces, or configure the existing ports with subinterfaces and break out the VLANs on a downstream switch.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Ge0/0/0 is a combo port. When you have both media types connected, the SFP will take priority over the RJ45.

You need to buy another NIM to gain more interfaces, or configure the existing ports with subinterfaces and break out the VLANs on a downstream switch.

cheers,

Seb.

aah, right, many thanks

Oh, something else to keep in mind, sometimes ISR "add-on" high-speed Ethernet ports (as suggested by Seb) have performance limitations. Unsure this would apply to your 4331, but check performance specs (if you need gig throughput) carefully.

BTW, another possible alternative is use sub-interfaces on one of your other ports and connect to a switch trunk port.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card