Helpful
Replies

GSR 12416 power supply

Lion_Heart
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a GSR 12416 router at my site and its coming with 3 power supply

My question is can the router work with only one power supply even after i unplug some cards out of the slots ?

9 Replies 9

Hello,

these are ancient devices...either way, as far as I recall, if you have three AC power supplies, two of them do 1:1 load balancing, so in theory, 1 would be sufficient. It is hard to find any documentation, so this is my best guess: it will operate with 1 supply.

Dear Georg ,

I've tried with only one AC power supply but the router goes off ( The router stop working ) after booting the IOS & once reaching to the enable mode when console it.

Well, my bad. It needs 2 at a minimum then, which do load balancing, and the third is for redundancy. Sorry about that. The last time I have seen these was somewhere at the beginning of 2000. Is yours actually still in production ?

NO its end of life & end of support also

But router is running since 2007

Good quality if it runs that long...:)

Is there anyway or command on the Rommon mode that can change the power supply operation from redundant to

non-redundant mode ??????  so i can turn the router only with one power supply

Hello,

it won't work with only 1 power supply, you need a minimum of two. I found the corresponding information from Cisco in the document linked below (page 1-4).

Standard AC Power Shelf
The standard AC-input power subsystem consists of a single-level AC-input
power shelf that house three (2000 W original series or 2400 W enhanced series)
AC power supplies which supply full redundant power to the router. Figure 1-2
shows the standard power shelf housing original series 2000 W power supplies.
The power supplies participate in an N+1 redundant current-sharing scheme that
is divided among all three power supplies. If one power supply fails, the system
can continue to operate temporarily, (depending on your system configuration)
with the remaining two power supplies. Failed power supplies should be replaced
as soon as possible to ensure full redundancy.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/12000/12016s/installation/guide/icg.pdf

Dear Georg ,

Thanks for your information ,

I found a command line from router that could change the power supply operation from redundant to non-redundant mode as follow :

Router-12416(config)#power-mgr ?
additive  Set powershelf operating mode to non-redundant
disable   Disable power management feature
scale-factor  Adjust device power consumption

Hello,

you still need two power supplies. Setting it to non-redundant only means that a third power supply will not participate in the N+1 scheme.

That is how I understand it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card