cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP! Setup password to access router from outside!

BHEbrecht
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone please tell me how I can setup a password so that i can access the router from outside the network. Someone messed up the setup and i need to get in and fix it. i try to access it through the hyperterminal but it tells me that a password setup is required.

please!!

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are several ways to access a router and I am not sure which ones you have already tried.

- You can access a router via its console port. This is typically using hyperterm set to use one of the PC com ports but sometimes can be via a terminal server.

- You can access a router via its aux port. This is typically using hyperterm set to use one of the PC com ports but infrequently could be via a terminal server.

- You can access a router via its vty ports. This is by telnet (and might be via hyperterm using the tcp/ip option in hyperterm).

A password is generally required for access via telnet and if no password is oonfigured on the vty ports the telnet request is usually rejected. It sounds like this is what may be happening to you.

A password may or may not be required on the console and aux ports depending on how the router is configured.

A last resort for this kind of problem is usually to use the password recovery procedure. In general this will be to connect to the console port of the router, power cycle the router, when the router starts to boot press the break key which will put the router into rommon. In rommon change the configuration register to 0x2142 and boot the router. This will boot the router and ignore the configuration file is startup config. You can then fix the config.

The details of how to do this may vary depending on the model of the router. If you search on the cisco web site for password recovery you should find a document that will describe what to do for your particular router model.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card