cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with inter-vlan routing

E419
Level 1
Level 1

Curious if anyone can help me. I'm working on CCNA and have been playing around in packet tracer. below is a Lab that I made for myself. My issue is that I can ping between each switch to the router on the connected sub interfaces. However I cannot ping from the switches on one side to the other or the opposite sub interfaces (192.168.1.X cannot ping 192.168.2.X & vice versa) 

I have verified both switches on either end of the router has correct IPs for each VLAN, and are trunked to the router. The router sub interfaces have correct IPs and encapsulation  dot1Q [vlan #]. I have also tried configuring routes with OSPF and static separately. 

I am still a little new to networking so I apologize if I just don't understand something. If anyone can help understand and fix the issue I would appreciate it. P.S. sorry for the bit of a un-organized IP scheme. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Your interface addressing and tagging on the rtrs subinterfaces conflict

example:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2
encapsulation dot1Q 20
ip address 192.168.1.72 255.255.255.192

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.2
encapsulation dot1Q 20
ip address 192.168.2.71 255.255.255.192

Based on your OP it suggests you are using the rtr as a Router On A Stick (ROAS) meaning using the router to perform the intervlan routing for the LAN, however as you have a L2 switch attached to both physical interfaces on the router, So it would be applicable to use IRB ( Intergrated Route Bridging)

Review attached file:

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The images does not show us what interface connected to Router on each side switch.

can you post below information from all devices ;

show run

show IP interface brief

show IP arp

show cdp neigh

show vlan

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Can do, also included

show int trunk

for the switches. please see attachments.

Hello
Your interface addressing and tagging on the rtrs subinterfaces conflict

example:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.2
encapsulation dot1Q 20
ip address 192.168.1.72 255.255.255.192

interface GigabitEthernet0/2.2
encapsulation dot1Q 20
ip address 192.168.2.71 255.255.255.192

Based on your OP it suggests you are using the rtr as a Router On A Stick (ROAS) meaning using the router to perform the intervlan routing for the LAN, however as you have a L2 switch attached to both physical interfaces on the router, So it would be applicable to use IRB ( Intergrated Route Bridging)

Review attached file:

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I did not know about IBR and I was obviously confused a little on how vlans and Subnets work on routers. Thanks for the help and teaching me something new.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card