cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can we make a device think it's talking the a 172.x.x.x network when it's actually 10.x.x.x?

Alkemyst71
Level 1
Level 1

We recently had to re-IP a datacenter and a server that was on a 172.x.x.x network is now on a 10.x.x.x one.  There are statically IP'd cameras out in the field that need that 172.x.x.x address.  We are using routers at each location.

Is there some kind of NAT we can do to convert that address back and forth?  We don't know much about what is on the other side of the switches at each location as we only have access to our routers.    Supposedly the client states changing the cameras would be too much work.

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are things that we do not know about your environment that might affect our suggestions. But if I am understanding correctly there are multiple remote sites which have cameras that talk to a server in your network. And that server has recently changed its IP address. It should be possible to configure a static address translation so that the cameras think they are talking to 172.x.x.x and it gets translated to 10.x.x.x. Assuming that 172.x.x.x is still routed to your site then the static address translation could be configured on your router. Otherwise it would need to be configured on the routers at each of the remote sites.

HTH

Rick

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can to NATing if you have hard time to changing the clients side device IP

depends on Model of the router you have. here is example can help you :

https://www.practicalnetworking.net/stand-alone/cisco-nat-configurations-ios-router/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

server could have multiple NICs. so, another NIC can be configured to different IP and subnet. I don't think you can have secondary IP on NIC; but one can be voa DHCP and another as static IP as a backup or fall-back.

barweiss45
Level 1
Level 1

With out knowing to much about the situation, yes one option would be the NAT on the routers you manage if the vendor is operating the layer 2 portion of the network. Depending on the circumstance you could also just add the 172.x.x.x network as a secondary IP on the layer 3 interface of the segment that the cameras are on and route that back to the data center.

However if the problem is that the camera server IP is hardcoded on the camera which was the 172.x.x.x network from how I understand it and you have a bunch of layer 3 hops between you and the server then you would need a solution like a L2TPv3 Tunnel or maybe a L2VPN MPLS psuedowire to span the 172.x.x.x network back in to the datacenter. 

I am not sure if this is any help as I would have to see a Visio probably and understand your network better to give you a better solution.

Thanks,

Barry

New Colo (10.0.x.x) <----dedicated----->Old Colo (172.19.10.x) (STILL IN USE)

Client Router (10.5.0.0)------SWITCH (no access)-----CAMERA (no access)

One of the main problems is our New Colo by default sends the 172.x.x.x traffic back to the old Colo which still has 172.x.x.x devices.   The 172.x..x.x traffic dies on the Old Colo device so it's getting there.  We are a hop away through dedicated fiber between the Colos. 

We have 172.19.1.x traffic at the new Colo so it's sort of muddled now.  The server address is on the 172.19.100.x block. 

Thanks for the additional information. And thanks for giving up on 172.x.x.x which makes it difficult to know what is going on - and hardly needs protecting. Your post says the old colo uses 172.19.10 and the server address is in 172.19.100. Is that correct? Also you drawing show both colo and shows the client router, switch, and camera. But it does not show how the client router connects to your network. Does the client router have a connection directly to either colo or does the client router forward traffic through some other device(s)?

HTH

Rick

Router connects to the old colo basically.  I believe I will need to NAT at each router and then one more at the new colo.

Hello

It does sounds like NAT is applicable but can you post a topology diagram so we will have clearer understanding of your request

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card