cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I guarantee a minimum bandwidth to a device?

spencercook
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I've been asked if I can setup a  network for a weekend event. To achieve their requirements I'll need to guarantee 1 device (or VLAN) a minimum level of bandwidth.  Below is a list of stipulations

The venue that's been hired has bandwidth of DL ~ 11.8Mbps UL ~ 0.88 Mbps (using speedtest.net)

1 device, can be separate VLAN, to stream video cast (e.g. twitch)

1 VLAN for wireless users

1 VLAN for LAN demo's

I have available a number of switches and routers from 1841 and 2960's to 2951 and 3850's, a single L3 would be neater but router and L2 would work.

The first device needs to be guaranteed a minimum probably at least 2 Mbps down, when in use, and critically 0.5Mbps up.

the VLAN for wireless users will be anything available, unless that first device demands bandwidth, then it's best effort from the remaining 9/0.3 down/up

the VLAN for LAN demos is anything left over, as it's LAN demo and internet access is "if it's there great if not it doesn't matter".

I've had a little experience with QoS on 2960s/1900/2900/CAT 6500E's.  But this has been corporate on 100Mb - 10Gb connections, and only for VoIP traffic.   So this is very new, to try and guarantee a minimum bandwidth for one device.

Thanks.

Spen.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Your routers would have more QoS features than your L3 switches, and they can pretty easily meet your requirements for outbound traffic.  However, even with their QoS features, managing inbound bandwidth doesn't work too well.  What you need to do is manage the other side's outbound (i.e. your inbound), but at you mention Internet access, this is unlikely to be possible.

There are a couple of inbound techniques, you can try, but again, they often don't work as well as desired.  You might police inbound traffic or you might shape outbound TCP ACKs.

For your outbound, you'll want a CBWFQ parent policy that shapes for the total uplink bandwidth (750 Kbps?), and they you can use a child policy to prioritize or set aside minimum bandwidths for your outbound traffic.

e.g.:

policy-map parent

class class-default

shape average 750000

service-policy child

policy-map child

class 1st-device

bandwidth percent 67

class wireless

bandwidth remaining percent 99

class class-default

bandwidth remaining percent 1

Thanks for the quick reply,

It's not so much the downstream traffic that I need to police.  Due to being such limited upstream, and the venue will be having a video cast over the internet, I'm hoping to guarantee that individual streaming device 512k of the bandwidth, when needed.  And when the streaming is paused the bandwidth is available for all.

I'll certainly test out the CBWFQ though.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ok, then what I 1st posted is what you want.  (You'll need to define the class-maps to match the correct traffic.)

NB:Generally switches don't support shaping, and that's critical so you can manage congestion for the uplink (where the physical interface is much "faster").

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card