cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many catalyst 4500Xs can be stacked to gather?

Omid Almasieh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks ,

I'm designing a hierarchical 3 layer campus network with different switch blocks .We need 10Giga Ethernet in the core to distributions and access layer , I was thinking about using a pair of catalyst 4509E in each block.after that I got interested in 4500Xs , in comparison with 4509Es they are much thinner and saves more room in rack space .I wanna use 4500X in my distribution layer .

The question is , as you know 4500Xs have 40 10Giga Ethernet ports , in some of my switch blocks I have more than 40 access switches (40 uplikns to distribution ) i wanna know how many of 4500Xs can i stack together ?

Regards,

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Two units in a VSS. 

View solution in original post

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, the 4500X is stackable but not in the true sense as the 3750's etc...
With the 4500X's you can enable VSS which is a type of stacking/ HA technology with up to 2 chassis in a stack as stated in the data sheet here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps10902/ps12332/data_sheet_c78-696791.html

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the other posters have noted, VSS is limited to a single pair.  So your options are to have more than one pair of 4500X distribution pairs when you need more than 40 10g links, or use 6500s as your VSS pair, such as a pair of 6506s.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Two units in a VSS. 

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, the 4500X is stackable but not in the true sense as the 3750's etc...
With the 4500X's you can enable VSS which is a type of stacking/ HA technology with up to 2 chassis in a stack as stated in the data sheet here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps10902/ps12332/data_sheet_c78-696791.html

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the other posters have noted, VSS is limited to a single pair.  So your options are to have more than one pair of 4500X distribution pairs when you need more than 40 10g links, or use 6500s as your VSS pair, such as a pair of 6506s.

Thank you guys ...

Thanks for rating our useful posts, Omid.

FYI:  There's going to be a major announcement in regards to the Catalyst switches (possibly on or before Cisco Live San Diego).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card