cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to avoid routing loops when an area connects with two ABRs with the backbone area

geo555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone.

We recently switched from eigrp to ospf and I have a question.

Each of our remote site/area has two routers, for redundancy purposes, that connect to the backbone area. 

r1-----r3------r5

|            |             |

r2-----r4------r6

R1-R2-R3-R4 area 0

R3-R4-R5-R6 area 1

R3,R4 are ABRs

is this design valid?

since inter-area ospf is distance vector, do I need to implement area filtering routes to avoid a routing loop via area 1?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, then it's possible to blackhole traffic, again depending how the r3<>r4 link is configured. For example, r3 and r4 summarize area 1, and the r3<>r4 link is in area 0, and r4<>r6 link is down, any area 1 traffic that arrives on r4 will be blackholed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

VIvanov
Level 1
Level 1

Good Design, there will be no loop as the SPF protocol will not make a looped network. Generally to loop a network you need a couple different types of routing protocols(or static routes).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
"Is this design valid?"

For avoiding routing loops, yes, at also noted by Vlvanov.

Concerning other possible issues, it depends in which area r3<>r4 link is and whether you're doing summarization on r3 and r4.

R3-R4 is area 0, and yes we are doing summarization on r3 r4

Ok, then it's possible to blackhole traffic, again depending how the r3<>r4 link is configured. For example, r3 and r4 summarize area 1, and the r3<>r4 link is in area 0, and r4<>r6 link is down, any area 1 traffic that arrives on r4 will be blackholed.

this is very interesting, can you point me to a document that describes best practices with multi ABRs between regions? I have searched cisco site and I haven't found anything with multi ABRs

". . . can you point me to a document that describes best practices with multi ABRs between regions?"

Sorry, none that I recall.

My example is due to intra-area routing taking precedence over inter-area routing.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card