cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect 2 switches with different traffic profiles?

asterisk
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I'm looking for a solution to connect 2 switches in a data-center for management purposes.

Each switch is in a complete separate network and should never be connected physically to the other, however I would like to access both from the single "management" VLAN that exist on Network B. both customer have different traffic profile and the customer data should never get mixed in any way. 

Thanks for your suggestions

3 Replies 3

Hello,

if VLAN 100 is your management VLAN, then create that VLAN on both switches, but don't share any other VLANs between both switches. There still needs to be some sort of connectivity between the switches,not sure what you mean by 'should never be connected physically'.

Hello Georg,

Thanks for your time! I will physically connect both switch with a Cat5/6 cable and set the 2 port to belong to Vlan100. do you see them exchanging any L2 protocol such as VTP, CDP, STP ...?

Thank you

If you are going to use only one vlan in the management side then you can simply configure the interface connecting switch as access ports.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card