Views
Helpful
Replies

How to monitor bandwidth of vlan on switch

jprodrig01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need your help to monitor or to see the bandwidth of vlan on switch, I read that this process is with VLAN access maps but I don’t know how.

Could you give me one example of configuration?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

How is your network monitoring tool configured? Do you want to a span port to direct traffic to this device for analysis?

If so see below an example config for a 6500

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a008017b753.shtml

A simpler alternative is to use SNMP polling to monitor bandwidth consumption on a VLAN interface.

Please remember to rate posts that are helpful.

Mi network topology is attached , I don`t have vlan port only two trunks ports, about 30 vlans in this moment, and I need the input rate and output rate of each vlan on the trunks.

thanks for your help

Do the VLANs only exist on the VMWare Server?

Assuming your 4500 switch has the capability I would suggest configuring Netflow.

This will allow you to graph bandwidth utilization for source and destination IP addresses.

yes the VLANs only exist on the VMWare Server, Im going to try to configure netflow  I don´t know if switch has the capability.

If not the 4500 then also check your router to see if it supports Netflow.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: