Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP problems and hanging serial ports

rsd1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please review the attached jpeg for a clearer understanding of my problem.

Basically, I am using a Y-Splitter to split the signal from 1 Cisco CABX21MT cable in to 2 cabx21mt's. I am looking to connect these cable to the serial ports of 2 2600 routers where I want to then configure HSRP.

When I simply have one router at either end all works well and ospf and data pass happily along the simulated leased line.

The problem occurs when I try to connect the second router (see diagram). After a short period of time the ospf table clears and all 3 serial interfaces show LINE PROTOCOL DOWN when I do a show int s0/0. This can be fixed by removing the offending serial cable.

I have tried all 3 routers with their s0/0 in the same subnet, then with seperate subnet s for 2 and a secondary ip on the router they are connecting to but with no joy. The routers continually hang.

Is this something I should expect from such an arrangement or is there some clever way I can get this arrangement to work ?

As for configs, I have only put a very simple f0/0,s0/0, default gateway and ospf network on at the moment so any additional advice would be greatly appreciated,

Also, if this scenario can be made to work the router c in the diagram will be telco owned so most of the config should preferable be on our 2 routers A & B,

kind regards

Richard

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

I have looked at the diagram that you posted. It appears that you are attempting to connect two routers downstream from router C. This is attempting to use the serial interface on router C as a multipoint interface. The serial interface defaults to being a point to point interface. If you want it to be multipoint then you should arrange for some configuration that supports multipoint such as Frame Relay.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

s.vyas
Level 1
Level 1

What is the sr port configs for clocks?

have u tried using one primary and one internal.

Hi,

I have configured the serials using the clockrate command on the DCE end of the cables. Can you please explain how you use a primary and an internal.

regards

Richard

use line source internal - line source primary

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card