Helpful
Replies

HSRP strange case

talmadari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have the following topology:

2x 877 routers, one interface from each router (port Fa0 which belongs to the router internal switch) is connected to the 2960 switch, the switch himself configured with default settings, flat with one vlan.

I have configured HSRP in the following manner: router A is 10.0.0.2, router B is 10.0.0.3, virtual IP is 10.0.0.1, take note that the HSRP configuration along with the IP address are configured on vlan1 interface.

Now when i connect a PC to the switch with static IP (10.0.0.4) and trying to ping 10.0.0.1 I'm not getting replies.

i see on the PC, using wireshark, the icmp request goes out but on the primary router (and also on the backup) i can't see the icmp request (using debug ip icmp).

this behavior happens only when the HSRP is configured on interface vlan1, when configuring the same configuration on Fa4 (which is WAN interface) everything works fine.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

MT

4 Replies 4

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Router configurations can help much better.

I just have found out something.

There seems to be a problem with the Active HSRP router listening for the virtual MAC address on vlan interfaces on the c877.

A workaround is to configure "standby use-bia" on the vlan interface so that HSRP uses the interface MAC address.

Hope it will help..

Message was edited by: Abzal Sembay

Best regards,
Abzal

Richard Strnad
Level 4
Level 4

Hi talmadari,

Can you ping the physical IPs?

What is the output of "show standby"?

Regards

Marek

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

This issue sounds config related.

Please post the HSRP config for both routers?

In the mean time can you ping the physical IP's from the PC?

Can you ping the VIP from the 2960?

I am assuming that you configured the static IP of the PC that you used the correct netmask and gateway too.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

When you have the IPs configured on the VLAN 1 interfaces, can the routers ping each other?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card