Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP switchover takes 7-8 ping losses

Ahmed Chowdhury
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have two 4503 switches connected individually two 5510 Asa. My web server is under 5510 dmz interface. From Two 5510 Asa dmz interface  there are two cables connected to two individual server farm switches.The web server in connected to this server farm switches.My local lan in connected to a cisco linksys switch. from that two cables are connected two individual 4503 switches on same vlan. i configured hsrp on this vlan. i pings the web server from local lan. when i unplugged one cable from Primary switch then it take 7-8 request timeout to recover into Secondary switch. it takes about 40 sec to switchover. it takes too much time. i also tune the timers but no luck. if anyone have any suggestions then please provide me. My Primary switch is also a Root Bridge.

7 Replies 7

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can you post a diagram please

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Heres the Diagram.................

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

which cable are you disconnecting?

The one between your Linksys switch and the primary 4503?

In that case, your problem could be STP convergence, as I suppose the line from the Linksys to the secondary 4503 is blocked by STP?

If runing STP with default values, the convergence might take over 30 seconds.

The easiest way woud be running RSTP, but I"m afraid Lindsys does not provide that?

If you are talking about the cable between your primary 4503 and the primary ASA then I guess you need to tune your HSRP timers to improve the convergence. What are your current HSRP timers?

HTH,

Milan

Thank u Milan,

i also guess that, thats why i configured the 4503 rapid-spanning tree. in this case i have recover 2 ping losses. now i have to do one thing about linksys rstp. yeah i dinconnected the linksys and 4503 primary swicth cable. still i have 5-6 ping losses. hsrp timers are 1, 4 sec. still there are some stp issues. i have to figure out. if u have any further suggestions then pls provide me. thank u.....

Hi,

which Linksys switch model are you using?

Does it support RSTP?

If yes, have you enabled that on the Linksys?

If not, your 4503 has fallen into STP compatibilty mode on the line to the Linksys probably.

Show spanning-tree interface ...

command used on the 4503 port connected to the Linksys should show you the exact STP status on the port.

HTH,

Milan

Ahmed Chowdhury
Level 1
Level 1

hi milan,

The problem is solved. the cisco linksys supports rstp. Thank u very much milan for your kind information.

Thank u.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card