Replies

HSRP + VRF Lite

Terence Payet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi expert,

This might be a stupid question.

See below scenario:

Let say i have two access switches connected on 1 router with one vlan, and i want to run some sort of redundancy protocol such as HSRP on the router for that vlan using some sort of vrf configuration. Is that possible?

I know i can install a second router and configure HSRP between the two devices but we are a bit tight on budget, and will take a while to acquire a second device.

So is it possible to run HSRP for one vlan on a single device?

It doesn't have to be vrf, it can be anything. I was just thinking of vrf because it was the only thing that came to mind.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Steve

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi you cant really have redundancy like that with 1 router you would need 2

The hsrp could be run between the switches under the SVI interface and the servers/users could then be dual linked to each switch but the single point of failure still exists at your router

if there are multiple circuits on your router you can route out of , you can fail between the circuits for redundancy but you would not use hsrp as its just 1 device you would use floating routes or weighted igp routes depending whats in place

vrfs will not work in that scenario as its 1 subnet , vrfs isolate routing tables from each other

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: