cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP vs GLBP

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

Do people even run GLBP anymore these days? I see a lot of HSRP and really not any GLBP. Is there a con with running GLBP over HSRP?

13 Replies 13

Hello

@Steven Williams wrote:

Do people even run GLBP anymore these days? I see a lot of HSRP and really not any GLBP. Is there a con with running GLBP over HSRP?

Why would you not run glbp the difference between the two is glbp adds load balancing  to default- gateway resiliency 

So you can have your hosts be pointing to the same vip gateway but their originated traffic could/would be sent to the different routers in the glbp group

hrsp does have a similar resilency in multiple hrsp (mhrsp) but hosts need to be manually pointed to the different d/g of the mhrsp groupings and isn’t as efficient as glbp 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HEllo,

GLBP is a better option in most cases.   So why would we still use HSRP over GLBP?   Here are some possibilities:

We might be on a router that doesn't support GLBP, and we still want a L3 fault tolerant next hop.   

Another possibility is that we want to integrate IPSec High Availability with HSRP, so that the active router terminates the IPSec tunnel.   Example of this is here: http://blog.ine.com/2008/11/06/ipsec-vpn-high-availability-with-hsrp/

There also may be the situation that the technician knows how to configure HSRP in his sleep, so he may choose it over GLBP.

In Practically in HSRP one router is active and another router is standby mode 
When active router goes down standby router acts as a active router role and another router in standby Group  acts as a Standby router

HSRP does not support loadbalance.
In GLBP you can loadbalance both link.

More information: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/14776

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

I mean I can configure HSRP to alternate Primary nodes in different vlans to share the load between the two devices so they are both forwarding traffic but for different vlans, but then ECMP northbound to next hop is kind of out depending on the design. If I run GLBP then ECMP is in full effect because both nodes can forward traffic for the same vlan. So just trying to see why I see more HSRP then GLBP. I will be running Cat9500s so GLBP is something I can do. I prefer not to stack my core.

Hello

Hrsp is a gateway resiliency feature as is vrrrp and in most situations you could say even if load balancing is applicable most situations I would say a max of two rtrs are being utilised for hrsp in the network design so why use glbp if it’s not required.

yours host could be split over the two rtrs be it half having a diferent vip gateway address.

Glbp can LB over more than two rtrs and these rtrs will/can all be in use at the same time sharing the traffic load plus all hosts in a glo use the one same vip address.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

So I am thinking to use ECMP northbound to my Palo Alto Core firewalls, using GLBP would be better suited no?

Hello

so whats the design -

Host1    glbp gateway (device1)    PA1                                              

Host2   glbp gateway (device2).    PA2

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes.

Hello

cannot see why not I am assuming the PAs will be HA paired 

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

A recommendation is going with PAs HA. We noticed that GLBP creates polarization issue at the Internet Edge if there is a firewall.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hello

@Deepak Kumar  

@Deepak Kumar wrote:

Hi,

A recommendation is going with PAs HA. We noticed that GLBP creates polarization issue at the Internet Edge if there is a firewall.

I guess that would be down to what Glbp LB method is/was being used ?

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

We are using Round Robin LB options. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hello

@Deepak Kumar wrote:

Hi,

We are using Round Robin LB options. 

Interesting -- Your are using GLBP (rr as LB preference) into two standalone FW and you experienced polarization so to remedy that you had the FWs put into a HA pair?

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

Interesting -- Your are using GLBP (rr as LB preference) into two standalone FW and you experienced polarization so to remedy that you had the FWs put into a HA pair?

No. This issue as reported by the client with his old network design. I didn't work on the case. We were migrated to the new network design. The old network was designed 3 years before and it was not scalable as per client's requirement. In the new Network design, we also migrated firewalls in the HA and removed the GLBP/HSRP. 

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card