Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP

The Issue we have two 3750 switches and  configured hsrp on that . Now instead of connecting these two swiches to an Intermediate common switch we have a cisco asa5520 which has 3 L3 ports of which is it possble to convert 2 ports as L2 ports and use those ports to connect to 3750 switches instead of a L2 switch. Kindly let me know if is it possible.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

santoshkoteswaran wrote:

The Issue we have two 3750 switches and  configured hsrp on that . Now instead of connecting these two swiches to an Intermediate common switch we have a cisco asa5520 which has 3 L3 ports of which is it possble to convert 2 ports as L2 ports and use those ports to connect to 3750 switches instead of a L2 switch. Kindly let me know if is it possible.

Why not just connect the 2 3750 switches directly to each other, this is by far the commonest way to do it.

Jon

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I think by default those ports are act as L2 ports untill you assign IP address are configure any routing protocols.

And could you tell us why you want connect your switches directly to the ASA, is there any purpose?

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Hi,

Thnks

the purpose is we have to do hsrp config on the 3750 switch and connect it to an intermediate switch and connect the asa to that switch so that ASA is also part of the network when one switch fails and standby takes over . But I dont think the ports on ASA5520 are L2 by default because when i try to configure ip on the same subnet to any two ports an error appears saying there is an ip address overlap thats why. In asa5505 its not the case all the ports are L2 but i dont thinks in asa 5520or 5510 those are L2 ports any other suggestions or work arounds for this .....

Hi,

Can you post your topology diagram to clarify things.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card