cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

http traffic hanging through Cisco 2821 router

CaseyCollins_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using a Cisco 2821 router to provide temporary Internet access for a private network of about 300 users for a conference at a hotel.  The hotel has provided me a public IP address for the WAN side.  On the LAN side I have a 10.x.x.x /8 subnet with the router providing DHCP and NATing (overload) across the WAN interface.

Users can pick up an IP address and access the web.  Light web pages such as Google tend to load without issue, however if a user does something that takes more time, such as streaming a Youtube trailer or opening an RDP session, the connection will freeze.

It doesn't appear to be related to bandwidth availability.  Pings return on average 10-15 ms.  However, I will get a request time out about every 10th continual ping.  Steaming video will load about 4-6 seconds worth of data, then will appear to freeze without dropping.  Doing something like speedtest.net will send a large amount of data then will hang, without ever ending the conversation.

This doesn't happen when I plug a laptop directly into the hotel public Internet line.  They also don't have issues with their network similar to this.

I do not have any ACLs, etc. loaded.  The router is basically wide open as far as I can tell.  I don't see the router resources getting used much at all.

I'm at a loss!  Any help would be greatly appreciate.  Thanks.

Casey

1 Reply 1

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Casey,

Can you check for MTU issue ? It sounds like it. try pinging from a Laptop conneted to the router with :-

ping -l 1500 -f google.com

then reduce the size from 1500 to 1400 and find a value that doesn't need Fragmentation.

Then set it as interface MTU on router.

Manish

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card