cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC module not initializing on ISR 2911

notaciscoguy
Level 1
Level 1

I run a small lab and am experiencing an issue with WIC-2T serial modules on a 2911 router. I have referred to Cisco's documentation and the 2911 is supposed to support the WIC-2T, and is running IP BASE 15.2(the minimum is IP base 15.0). for whatever reason, this router will not initialize the HWIC so no serial interfaces show up in running config and you can't configure them. the show diag command returns an error saying that the module is either unsupported or disabled. I have other 2911s that have the same card and IOS and run it fine but this router is being finicky. I have also tried swapping HWICS with other routers and have tried using other HWIC slots on the router with no change in status. 

is there a command that I am missing to allow the hwic to initialize? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a student managed to locate the problem. Cisco automatically disables SFP modules that have not been approved specifically by Cisco. in order to use them, you must enter a pair of commands which may void your warranty in order to activate the SFP modules. 

the global config commands necessary are as follows:

service unsupported-transceiver

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid 

you will have to copy run start and reload before the SFP ports become operational. it is annoying, but at least useful for organizations which can't afford to spend $350 each on Cisco Brand SFP modules. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@notaciscoguy wrote:

I have also tried swapping HWICS with other routers and have tried using other HWIC slots on the router with no change in status. 

Try different IOS version.

that is not an option, I do not have a site license or access to other IOS Images. also the HWIC works in other routers running the exact same IOS version and license  level without issue. 

a student managed to locate the problem. Cisco automatically disables SFP modules that have not been approved specifically by Cisco. in order to use them, you must enter a pair of commands which may void your warranty in order to activate the SFP modules. 

the global config commands necessary are as follows:

service unsupported-transceiver

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid 

you will have to copy run start and reload before the SFP ports become operational. it is annoying, but at least useful for organizations which can't afford to spend $350 each on Cisco Brand SFP modules. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card