cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I cannot get my router and switch to work communicate with ospf

memelord
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I cannot get my switch and router to communicate. I am using OSPF and I can get Router 1 to communicate with Router 2 but I cannot get the Switch to communicate.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BruteForce
Level 1
Level 1

R2 looks like it has

/30 interface Gig0/1

that's ready to have a connection to S1, but S1's physical ports are configured as layer 2 trunks. Loopback1 on SW1 has an ip, but that's a "virtual interface". I don't typically see them configured as

/30s

and definitely not as

ospf point-to-point

but maybe someone can elaborate on a use case for that.

SW1 needs a layer 3 connection to R2, maybe in the

10.0.3.0/30 network

Mirror the

Gig0/1 R2 configs (with 10.0.3.2)

on whatever port SW1 will use to connect to R2.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello
Your switch has no ip connectivity to the rtrs?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

BruteForce
Level 1
Level 1

R2 looks like it has

/30 interface Gig0/1

that's ready to have a connection to S1, but S1's physical ports are configured as layer 2 trunks. Loopback1 on SW1 has an ip, but that's a "virtual interface". I don't typically see them configured as

/30s

and definitely not as

ospf point-to-point

but maybe someone can elaborate on a use case for that.

SW1 needs a layer 3 connection to R2, maybe in the

10.0.3.0/30 network

Mirror the

Gig0/1 R2 configs (with 10.0.3.2)

on whatever port SW1 will use to connect to R2.

you are not run 

ip routing

in SW ?? may be this issue here 

I agree with @MHM Cisco World that we do not see ip routing enabled on the switch, although there are multiple commands in the config that would only be valid if ip routing were enabled. So that might be part of the issue. I agree with @BruteForce that the loopback interface on the switch is odd and not functional. It has an IP and ospf statements like it expected to run ospf. But the loopback does not have any physical connectivity and so running ospf on it does not make sense.

The basic problem here is that both routers have G0/0 with interfaces in a /30 subnet. They obviously are connected to switch ports in vlan 1 and can communicate with each other. But the switch does not have an IP address in vlan 1 (and there is not room in the subnet for a third device). So the switch is not able to communicate IP with either router.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card