cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ibgp local networks

jwilde
Level 1
Level 1

i am trying to create an ibgp connection that will advertise my local networks (if possible) to each other.  The problem i'm running into is that i don't want to use ospf for one router to talk to another router to know about local routes.  The one router is just sitting on an edge with connectivity to a tier1 provider.  That router is connected to another one of my routers that is connected to a couple of piers but also knows about the Internal network.  Say 10.0.0.0/24 but its routable subnets.  I can get it to work by having them talk ospf, but if i remove ospf i do not see any of my local networks ingested and hence the router doesn't know the way back to the source.  I do have say a static route to 10.0.0.0/24 to null interface with value of 240 or something like that.  If i don't want to use ospf i'm wondering how i get the injection of local subnets into the router.  I can probably do a visio tomorrow if this is confusing but i'll do it in ascii here.  

Internet<>routera<>routerb<>internal network.  i would like routera to receive internal routes via bgp from routerb instead of passing traffic to null.  I have to be missing something simple.  This is on ios-xr 9k series routers.

15 Replies 15

Hello 

the issue you will have is if you advertised your local networks via an IGP and bgp then the bgp external routes WILL take preferane so that why I suggested the BACKDOOR feature it will provide you will resilience if the interconnect between sites failed then you can still reach between sites via th ebgp path!

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card