cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP local preference conflict

tedauction
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have two adjacent iBGP VRFs, which each have a bordering eBGP VRF (diagram attached).

My topology includes a route for 10.0.0.0/8 which I am passing from each of the eBGP VRFs into the inside iBGP VRFs. I am preferring eBGP VRF route paths over the other by using AS prepending.

The problem is that by default, when the iBGP VRFs receive this 10.0.0.0/8 route, they forward this route to each other with the 'Local Preference' default attribute of 100 (expected iBGP behaviour). This is installed in their routing tables due to 'Local Preference' having a higher order of preference than AS prepending.

Is there any way, I can force the iBGP VRFs to instead recognise the 'AS prepend' attribute rather than the 'Local Preference' attribute - or is it not feasible to try to pass routes via iBGP and eBGP VRFs as per my topology ?

5 Replies 5

There is nothing with LP,

Can i see

Show ip bgp 10.0.0.0?

Cisco Best Path 
""Prefer the path with the shortest AS_PATH.""

IMG_20220611_184801_2.jpg

NOW 
AS prepend x3 from Side 
AS prepend x2 from other Side (keep notice that iBGP not add AS-path)

so for iBGP vrf-A it better via iBGP than eBGP because it have shortest path.
so I think you make misconfig
instead in eBGP AS 65100 use x2 
in eBGP AS 65000 use x3

Hi

"...The problem is that by default, when the iBGP VRFs receive this 10.0.0.0/8 route, they forward this route to each other with the 'Local Preference' default attribute of 100 (expected iBGP behaviour). "

https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/44908/why-are-ibgp-routes-not-propagated-to-other-ibgp-neighbors 

This is wrong.  The expected behavior is not advertise routes leaned from iBGP peer as Loop prevention mechanism.

3ehqB.gif

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @tedauction ,

The local preference is the same for all eBGP learnt routes (100). It should therefore not play a role in the best path selection.

Please provide the output for "show bgp vrf <vrf name> ipv4 uni 10.0.0.0/8" from both iBGP peers.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello

Set the LP attribute higher than current default (100) for those specific routes to take the egress path you wish.

Example:
ip prefix-list LP_pf permit 10.0.0.0/8 ge 32

route-map LP_rm permit 10
match ip address prefix-list LP_pf
set local-preferance 200

route-map LP_rm permit 99

router xxx
neigbour <Ebgp peer> route-map LP_rm IN

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card