cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Implementing QoS with DMVPN tunnels over MPLS network

Ryan Cole
Level 1
Level 1

As an additional level of security we run DMVPN over our MPLS cloud to 20 remote sites.

I next want to look at QoS policies across the DMVPN tunnels from hub to spoke to prioritize voice/multimedia traffic and our MPLS provider has told us we have three traffic types they use across their MPLS network,

• Gold (matches EF)
  • SilverPlus (matches AF41, AF42, AF43)
  • Everything else...

My question is am I tied to only using the three classes the MPLS provider uses or can I use a combination of these and my own? Say use Gold for voice, SilverPlus for multimedia and then break up the 'everything else' into what I want? Or am I tied to what the carrier provides? 

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"It depends".

If your traffic flows are strictly hub-and-spoke and the aggregation of spoke bandwidths don't exceed hub's bandwidth, you don't need MPLS QoS.

If not, you often will need MPLS (vendor) MPLS, but this doesn't always preclude some benefit to still using custom QoS.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card