Views
Helpful
Replies

Improve quality of skype calls

coe-newbie-414
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm in charge of the IT of a dorm with 200 inhabitants. A lot of people complain about the bad quality of "skype-calls". Audio is delayed and video stucks. The actual speed of our internet connection should be fast enough so I guess it has something to do with the QOS setting. I checked it on our WLC 3750 and right now we use Silver (best effort). Could there be any improvement when I set it to Platinum?

Maybe I'm also totally wrong and the QOS setting has nothing to do with my problem. Is there any other solution to fix this issue?

Thanks!

Best regards

16 Replies 16

Your friend has the Internet to himself, not sharing it with 100's of others.

I think what has been missed here is that the link from your dorm rooms is not to the Internet but instead to the core campus network. You haven't told us the details of the actual Internet link(s) from the campus and how congested these are. Also, the main campus may restrict (police) dorm room bandwidth to much lower than this.

It would be interesting to monitor your interface to the wider campus using something like NBAR or third party tool to see the utilisation of the link and what traffic types these are.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

coolgirl43
Level 1
Level 1

I also had this problem. I try to improve chinese skype lessons at http://preply.com/en/chinese-by-skype so I need my skype calls to have the best quality.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card