cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Influencing the routing path using BGP.

nikhil.kulkarni
Level 1
Level 1

I came across a requirement to achieve some routing preference using BGP with the service provider on the Internet.

We are having 2 Internet links from different service providers, Provider-A and Provider-B and both running BGP with us. The BGP is configured to send full routing updates. For a particular network say 1.1.1.0 /24 we want to prefer Provider-A as the preferred provider for incoming and outgoing traffic.

How best can this be achieved? For incoming traffic we can simply prepend the network 1.1.1.0 /24 with higher AS path out of Provider-B. Is it a general practice that Provider-B strip the prepends?

How can we work on the outgoing traffic? Route-maps?

Thanks,

Nik

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it a general practice that Provider-B strip the prepends?

no the provides don't strip the prepends. For incoming traffic to you as-path prepend should work fine.

As for outgoing traffic, you can use higher local pref for your local subnet to take let say provider-A

HTH

Thanks for the input Reza, I am still wondering how will Local Pref help me influence outgoing traffic.

In this case traffic originatin from the local subnet i.e. 1.1.1.0 /24(as an example) destined to any network across the globe should also take Provider-A.

-Nik

ccarreto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

normally outgoing traffic in BGP is manipulated by local-pref. But this is based on target IP addresses, not on source addresses.

Manipulation on source addresses could only be done by policy based routing.

www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/qos/configuration/guide/fqos_c/qcfpbr.html

www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/ip-routed-protocols/47121-pbr-cmds-ce.html

Regards, Celio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card