Views
Helpful
Replies

Interal Network Packet loss

riazay001
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Its been a couple of days that I am having packet losses in my internal Network. Whenever I ping from Switch-12 to Switch-3 I can see about 10 packet loss out of 100 but when I ping 8.8.8.8 from the same switch it does not give any packet loss. This packet loss comes for about 2 to 4 seconds per minute.

The port between the switches is Trunk and all switches are publically accessible. There is no counter error, port errors etc in the Trunk ports.

Please advice.

8 Replies 8

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

HI,

Could be the switch you are pinging is busy.When a switch is very busy, processing pings is given low priority. What is the utilisation on that switch? 

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Mr Johnd2310,

The Switch's cpu utilization is almost about 50 to 60 %.

Hi,

What is the output of the "show processes cpu sorted"?

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Sugam Rangan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When you face the drop in the ping, is it the symmetric pattern for those 8 drops out of 100 or the continuous 8 drops? 

Dear sugamrangan

Sometimes it is symmetric pattern and sometimes it is continuous. When I telnet the switch, I can feel like the slowness as I type a command and it is shown after a second and sometimes very smoothly.

Probably there must be some process running which is utilizing the switch resource at max for few few seconds. Can you paste the full output of "sh process cpu history" and "sh process cpu" here.  

Also, keep two sessions open. One from where you are executing the continuous ping and second for the switch you are facing issue.

As soon as you start observing the packet loss please execute the command "sh pro cpu his", you may see any single spike to 90% to 100%. If that's not the case then please check the interface errors on the trunk link between both switches on both sides. Because that's only the link from which you access the switch then that can be a same issue while telneting the device as well. 

Gaurav Mahajan
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have any time pattern when issue occurs ?

It could be due to some backup is running in the network during that time may result in latency in the internal network.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card