cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Issues Netgear Smartswitch to Cisco 881 LAN port

lenpriest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have 100 Cisco 881 routers in our network and they all work fine to Linksys, 3Com, etc switches.  The problem we have encountered is interfacing to Netgear switches.  Netgear switches use autosensing on their ports and it does not seem to be compatible with MDIX autosensing on the Cisco 881 4 port LAN hub that is standard on the 881 router.  Has anyone encountered this issue before?  Would a cross over cable resolve the problem?  Since both run autosensing MDIX they never synch - so likely a cross over would not do much.  I see this with all types of Netgear smartswitches.  If you put a small switch between the Netgear switch and the 881 Cisco router everything works fine except for getting port 9000 traffic through.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Len

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There should be no problem using crossover cable.You could try disabling autoMDI/MDIX( no mdix auto) on the cisco device and keep a straight through cable but if it fails use a crossover cable.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There should be no problem using crossover cable.You could try disabling autoMDI/MDIX( no mdix auto) on the cisco device and keep a straight through cable but if it fails use a crossover cable.

Regards

Alain

By the way I don't know of anyway to turn of MDIX on a Cisco 881.  This command is not available from what I can see.  Have you tried this yourself?

Hi,

never tried it on a 881 but It's really weird it is not available.

Regards.

Alain

I believe the only way I can turn it off is to set the speed and duplex.  I will try that on one of the four ports as most switches run at 100/full now.  Thanks for the help.

lenpriest
Level 1
Level 1

Just waiting for the cross over cable to get to site.  If this does not work then I will try the disable command.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card